2. What can you expect?
1. Look for whey protein concentrate.
Wei is de meest kwaliteitsvolle eiwitbron ter wereld. Geen enkel eiwit heeft meer kracht om je spieren zo snel en effectief te herstellen. Kijk niet alleen naar de totale hoeveelheid eiwit, maar vooral naar de hoeveelheid wei-eiwit.
De beste recovery shakes bevatten meer dan 45 gram eiwit waarvan minstens 25 gram wei-eiwit.
2. Quality first: How much leucine?
Forget other super amino acids: long live leucine! Branched-chain amino acids or BCAAs are often wrongly attributed various positive properties. However, according to recent studies, there is only one super amino acid with the power to stimulate muscle growth and recovery, and that is leucine. Research has long shown that leucine amino acid is the primary driver for muscle recovery and muscle building.
- The more leucine, the better. The best recovery shakes contain at least 5 grams of leucine, with the ideal being 6 grams.
- Does your shake also contain 2 to 3 grams of isoleucine (obviously from the leucine family)? Then you’ve got the ideal recovery drink. Isoleucine has a similar effect to leucine and can be absorbed simultaneously without limiting the effect of leucine and vice versa.
- The only other amino acid that can be in your recovery shake is valine, which stimulates your muscles to absorb amino acids. To a lesser extent, but in combination with leucine, it is certainly a nice addition for a noticeable effect.
3. The right creatine solution
Most recovery shakes do not typically contain creatine, but if you are considering one that does, it’s important to pay attention to whether it includes “buffered creatine.” Buffered creatine refers to creatine with an additional protective layer against the acids in your body. This double buffer helps ensure that the creatine is effectively absorbed. Without this buffer, creatine can break down too quickly, leading to up to 60% less creatine absorption. If you decide to include creatine in your recovery shake, opt for one with buffered creatine for better absorption and effectiveness.